What Are the Symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome?
The name restless leg syndrome is quite apt – people suffering from restless legs have the uncontrollable urge to keep their legs moving as a way to relieve feelings of discomfort, including itchiness, tingling, and crawling. If your legs are at rest the feelings are likely to ramp up, hence why your limbs are so restless.
Ways to Address Restless Leg Syndrome
1. Get enough sleep – which can be difficult to accomplish when your legs are keeping you awake! Trying to get quality sleep can be enough to diminish some of the effects of restless leg syndrome, but you may need some assistance to get to a point where you can comfortably sleep. Try eliminating caffeine and sticking to a regular bedtime and wake-up schedule to alert your body that it’s time to sleep.
2. Exercise frequently. Using your legs often can help reduce some of the symptoms of restless leg syndrome, giving you a better quality of life.
3. Medications for restless leg syndrome can help where lifestyle changes do not. Medications for restless leg syndrome are available through your healthcare provider, who can advise you on which medications for restless leg syndrome would be the best choice for your particular situation.
4. Massage can help limit the effects of restless leg syndrome. As part of your treatment plan you may be able to get these therapeutic massages covered by your health insurer, so be sure to check and see what is included in your insurance.
5. Vein treatments-venous insufficiency not only leads to varicose veins but it can also be the underlying cause of restless leg syndrome. Proper treatment of venous insufficiency can actually improve restless leg syndrome. According to a study in the journal Phlebology, 98% of patients with restless leg syndrome and venous insufficiency, experienced relief from restless legs syndrome after receiving vein treatments.
In many cases, people with restless legs have to use a variety of treatments. If you’ve tried medications for restless leg syndrome but felt no relief — vein treatment may be the best form of relief for you.
PORTLAND, OR 97255
Phone: (503) 296-4030
Fax: (503) 216-2488